Hootsuite and We Are Social have published a study listing the main digital statistics for the year 2021. Which have been updated with the figures for the month of July.
Increased by the health crisis, the use of social networks and the Internet, in general, continues to increase, with an increasingly predominant share of mobile traffic.
The direct consequence of an unprecedented period doomed to fade over time or the lasting evolution of a company destined to become 100% digital? Only time will tell, but by then the numbers speak for themselves.
Note: Statistics are based on a world population of 7.87 billion people and were updated as of July 2021.
Internet statistics in 2021: the key figures
4.80 billion: this is the total number of Internet users on the planet’s surface, the equivalent of 60.9% of the world’s population.
On the social media site, there are 4.48 billion users or 57% of the world population. With a 13% increase in new users between 2020 and 2021.
The use of social networks is also dominant in online activities:
- 95.7% of internet users of working age use social networks or messaging services around the world every month.
However, e-commerce is not far behind:
- 6 in 10 internet users said they had visited an online shopping platform in the past month.
Time spent on the Internet down slightly
- 30 seconds less Internet per day: this is one of the surprises of this report. Which however seems minimal in relation to the 7 hours a day to which they escape. In comparison, 3 hours 20 minutes is the time spent in front of the television, about half as much as the Internet. Many Internet users connect to the Internet as part of their work.
Social media statistics in 2021
In 2021, Facebook and its 2.85 billion users still lead the ranking, followed by YouTube with its 2.29 billion and WhatsApp with 2 billion. Behind this top 3, we find Instagram, Messenger, WeChat, and TikTok.
- 3.5 billion people use at least one of the Facebook group’s social networks (Facebook, Messenger, Instagram, Whatsapp).
- On the Gen Z side, we see that 33.4% of 16-24-year-olds prefer Instagram to other platforms. With 100 million additional users for Instagram’s advertising reach since last year, the image-sharing social network is attracting more and more advertisers and is firmly asserting itself in the big leagues.
- But the real winner this year, at least in terms of exponential growth, is of course TikTok, the king of snack content, and its 57 million downloads in June 2021 alone.
The mobile phone in 2021
- 55.35%: this is the proportion of web traffic that comes from mobile devices in the second quarter of 2021, which represents an increase of 11% compared to 2020.
- 5.27 billion mobile users, or 117 million more than last year and no less than 66.9% of the population who surf on mobile.
- 35 billion apps were downloaded globally. A 6% drop from last year, offset by a 19% increase in-app spending, bringing the total to 33 billion dollars.
Faced with this digital activity, companies have every interest in betting on digital to grow and sustain their activity. Contact us for the creation and implementation of an efficient and tailor-made digital strategy for your business.